2017 is here, and the flip of the calendar page brought the grand opening of our North York production facility at 20 Hafis Road. If you have yet to visit the new facility, we have set up a tasting bar in the front end of the brewery, where you can enjoy a small selection of our delicious beers on tap as well as grab some bottles to go from the retail fridges.
The number one question we have been asked in these mere few weeks we’ve been open at Hafis is “Are you going to offer brewery tours?”. While I would love to answer with a resounding “YES!” the truthful answer is most likely somewhere between “HOPEFULLY?” and “EVENTUALLY!”. While we are not quite set up to offer tours at the Hafis facility, I am here to bring you good news! Now that the dust has started to settle and we are beginning to find our feet in the not-so-snowy Toronto Winter months, we are ready to restart our beloved Guided Tasting sessions at the Ossington brewpub.
Launched in October 2014, our Guided Tastings are a fun way to try our beers in a setting that’s a bit more informative and educational than at the bar. Sometimes you just want to drink a beer and not think too hard about its journey from grain to glass, but at others, you really wish you could discover some of the back story, the behind-the-scenes, and the evolution of your most beloved brewskie. We’re a passionate bunch and beer is our life’s work, but with trying to juggle a new brewing facility and a the always busy brewpub on Ossington, we’re guilty of working too much and relying a little too heavily on the ol’ “but there’s no time” excuse – so now we’re making a little time.
Come by the brewpub for a Guided Tasting, and we’ll both hit the pause button to enjoy some delicious beer. Led by a member of our brewery staff, we’ll take a behind-the-scenes look at the brewing process, the characteristics and nuances of the different beers, the trials and tribulations of dialling in recipes and expanding production, as well as dive into the history and future plans of our brewery and ever evolving barrel aging program.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
To give you an idea of what you’ll be walking into when you reserve a tasting, here are some potential questions answered:
- Tastings begin at 5pm sharp. The front-of-house staff is busy setting up beforehand, so guests won’t be accommodated earlier than 5.
- Tastings will be held in the 2nd floor mezzanine to ensure an optimal view of the brewhouse!
- All our tastings will last for an hour and a half, though you and your group are welcome to stay longer afterwards, as the brewpub is open for regular business.
Our Guided Tastings include four, 4oz Bellwoods draft samples, one 4oz Bellwoods Barrel Aged Reserve Bottle sample, and a Chef’s Board with seasonal cheeses, meats, and fermented veg (please specify if you would like an all-vegetarian board) = $35/person.
BOOKING A RESERVATION
In order to make the experience smoother, we’ve teamed up with Resurva to offer online reservations for these sessions. Please visit bellwoodsbrewery.resurva.com to check out how many spots are open for the available dates.
- As of right now we are offering two sessions a week on Mondays and Tuesdays beginning January 30 & 31st and running throughout February 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28th. To book, go to one of these dates on the Resurva system (bellwoodsbrewery.resurva.com).
- Tastings must be no more than 8 people. More than that and we feel the patron-to-guide ratio is askew (and the space is rather tight). More than one group can be accommodated per tasting.
- Select the date you are interested in booking, then click the box under the seat number, select Guided Tasting and enter your name and contact information.
- To book multiple seats you can select each seat individually and book under your name or have your friends log in themselves and book their own spots.
- If you need to cancel, please do it at least 48 hours before your tasting date. We can usually fill the spots if we have a bit of warning, but we prep the food in advance, so if you cancel 5 minutes beforehand, we end up unnecessarily wasting food!
- All participants must be legal drinking age.